Bonapartism, Fascism & our new order & War

Greg Schofield g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au
Tue Feb 19 08:22:49 PST 2002

Charles, I had to say this was very well put below, I know it is a simple historical observation, but saying things clearly is important. The same thought crossed my mind but I could not find the words - thanks for it.

--- Message Received --- From: "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:57:31 -0500 Subject: Bonapartism, Fascism & our new order & War

The working class forces in the 1920's and 1930's had the same problem we have today in trying to convey the danger of something new in fascsim. This is obviously an inherent problem with conveying the importance of anything new. One always has to try to use some historical precedent to convey the meaning, but augment the historical concept or term to convey that it is new. In the 1920's and 30's "fascism" would not send a strong enough message, because fascism hadn't done its extraordinarily murderous deeds yet. "Hitler is a fascist. " Someone's response to this in 1930 might be "So what ?". So, terms like "barbarism" or "Bonapartism" were used. Today , although the new situation is different than fascism in some ways, if we call it *(^%$#%$#, a completely new word with no historical significance, it will fail to convey the warning of extreme danger that we want to convey. So , of course we must resort to terms like "fascist-like" , "Nazi-like". But for rhetorica! l impact we just say The New Nazism.

Greg Schofield Perth Australia g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Use LesTecML Mailer (http://www.lestec.com.au/) * Powerful filters. * Create you own headers. * Have email types launch scripts. * Use emails to automat your work. * Add comments on receive. * Use scripts to extract and check emails. * Use MAID to create taylor-made solutions. * LesTecML Mailer is fully controlled by REXX. * A REXX interpreter is freely available. _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________