Selfish genes & population demographics

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Tue Feb 19 19:08:31 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Franz Leher" <fr102anz at netvigator.com>

> Let's not forget the whole point of the book _The
Selfish Gene_ was to
> provide an explanation of how _altruistic_ behaviour
could arise (or
> more correctly, 'apparently altruistic behaviour'). It's
plain wrong to
> view it as some sort of Social Darwinist tract. People
on the Right who
> use the phrase as some sort of Social Darwinist slogan
are just
> bullshitting. And it's always mildly disappointing to
see leftists
> legitimize this bullshit usage by reacting as if it was
the original and
> proper meaning.

Well, heck. The human genome project buried the coffin of the gene-o-centric view of evolution [and why is it some scientists always seem to find the 'ultimate' level of causality in the world is at their level of inquiry of the big ontic fuzzy :->] so why are folks even worried about the Dawkins' of the world when we've got Bush and Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz and Poindexter running around.....

Ian