marxist sociology

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Feb 20 09:29:52 PST 2002

marxist sociology Date: 20 Feb 2002 11:18:46 +0200 From: "Tahir Wood" <twood at uwc.ac.za> Subject:

CB: It's like you are pretending that there isn't a distinct Marxist sociology, poli sci, historical science in 2002 that would be critical of your perspective on fascism. Marxism won't go away by pretending it is not there and you are the only one in the field.

Tahir: I would like to know what marxism has to do with sociology and pol sci. History yes, even pilosophy, but what has marxism to do with these academic disciplines?

^^^^^^^

CB: Marx pretty much invented scientific sociology and political science. _Capital_ is the first or one of the first uses of data as used in sociology and poli sci. If you look in most basic sociology texts, they claim Marx as a founder. In the Marxist division of the disciplines , there is a basic divsion between natural history and history. All of what are termed in bourgeois academe "social sciences" fall under history.

^^^^^

Did Marx (or Hegel) ever show any interest in them?

^^^^^^^ CB: Actually, a text by Hegel on sociology was discovered in the 1930's. He discusses poverty etc. in a very progressive vein.

There is a strong argument, made by Gillian Rose and others that 'marxist sociology' etc. is firmly rooted in neo-kantianism and thereby destroys the revolutionary content of marxism in favour of some sort of 'progressive' variation of bourgeois social science. It's a way of being an academic and a marxist at the same time. So who are the marxist sociologists and political scientists? Tahir

^^^^^^^

CB: Of course, there are many social scientists in the West who consider themselves Marxists to some extent, so among some of them there are moves in the direction that you say, but as a matter of principle, the subject matters of bourgeois sociology and poli sci are within overall Marxism from a Marxist standpoint.

T.R. Young, Andy Austin and Martha Gimenez are Marxist sociologists I know from the net. Kelly on this list considers herself a Marxist sociologist, I believe. Then there's the Red Feather Institute. Red Feather Home Page ... TR Young. and the. Red Feather Institute for Advanced Studies in Sociology. Has MOVED! Please bookmark us at our new location. http://www.power-net.net/~tryoung. www.uvm.edu/~tryoung/ - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

Actually I'm having trouble bringing up the page , but it is an association of Marxist and radical sociologists. Try http://www.tryoung.com/

Here's a Cuban social science page with sociology and poli sci

http://www.tryoung.com/CUBA/cuba-2.html

Also try

ASA Marxist Section Home Page SECTION ON MARXIST SOCIOLOGY. Click for Other Photos. ... SECTION'S BYLAWS. ABOUT THE SECTION ON MARXIST SOCIOLOGY. Instructions to join the Section's Mailing List. ... csf.colorado.edu/psn/marxist-sociology/ - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

Section's Statement of Purpose The Section on Marxist Sociology. BEFORE the term "holistic" was used to signify an approach that analyzed processes within their broader contexts,. ... csf.colorado.edu/psn/marxist-sociology/sms.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages [ More results from csf.colorado.edu ]

Here's on Marxist poli sci

http://www.umich.edu/~pscompar/PRELIMS/reading%20alphabetical.html

Most of them are "underground" to some extent with their Marxism, I would suspect , as the bourgeois academe doesn't quite have the level of academic freedom that it touts.