Dimitrov

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Wed Feb 20 13:25:38 PST 2002

To Greg & Charles:

After reading :

Unity of the Working Class against Fascism Concluding speech before the Seventh World Congress of the Communist International http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/dimitrov/works/1935/unity.htm#s1

which Charles was so kind to provide, I see Georgi in a different light. Let me explain.

His opening line at the 7th comintern congress that goes:

Comrades, fascism in power was correctly described by the Thirteenth Plenum of the Executive Committee of the Communist International as the open terrorist dictatorship of the most reactionary, most chauvinistic and most imperialist elements of finance capital.

has always put me off. Dimitrov went eyeball to eyeball with the fascists and stared them down (the Leipzig trial) only to become a perfect stalinist stooge, and he dutifully demonstrates his loyalty to the chief by mouthing the comintern BS about "dictatorship of the baddest meanest finance capital". Why not the fattest, most constipated owners of textile mills?

However, the speech Charles sent me, where GD traces an overall panorama of world fascism and antifascist struggles, shows that the guy knows what he's talking about much more than he let on at the 7th. Shame, really, that a mind like GD's was imprisoned in the carcass of an apparatchik.

Hakki