Fascism

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Wed Feb 20 22:22:55 PST 2002

Fascism: in effect, it has been a successful capitalist means of dealing with working class movements (often rural or displaced veterans at that) that might challenge the 'compact majority''s power base. It deals with such a challenge both ideologically and materially (in the sense of welfare concerns for the masses who cooperate).

I don't think it's ever been both 1. totalitarian and 2. permanent.

If you could take a step back from the US and take a good look, you do see some very alarming facts on the ground.

Fascist, by the way, makes a very good adjective to describe reckless, self-serving actions that would threaten a representative system of government. Even if such steps are taken because a ruling group think they are acting autocratically out of benevolence for the country, they are undermining the very thing they say they are preserving.

I agree with Charles Brown and others. You use the most drastic language to condemn something you hope doesn't deepen and entrench.

Charles Jannuzi