marxist sociology

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed Feb 20 23:14:12 PST 2002

I have a 1974 children's textbook on the history of the CPSU (being used in the Soviet educationl system, however, it reads like an American first- or second-year university textbook). It manages to treat the forced collectivization of the 30s without mentioning that a) Stalin or b) that it was forced. The 800-odd-page book also mentions Stalin a whopping four times and Trotsky not once.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ------------------

As for Soviet philosophy, ptowee, there was no such thing after Stalin killed almost anyone with a brain in the USSR. I have had the misfortune to have actually read a lot of Soviet so-called dialectical materialism, and a drearer lot of glock I never tried to slog through. (I feel sorry for my former OSU colleague Jim Scanlan, who actually wrote a book (quite a good one, very fair and sympathetic, though for that reason all the more devastating) about Marxism in the USSR.) No wonder Marxism had such a weak grip on the peoples of the FSU: their exposure to it, such as it was, was largely through diamat textbooks of leaden orthodozy and obvious dishonesty.

The comments of most official Soviet philosophy about Kant were basically predictable, unininteresting, and largely wrong.

jks