Women/feminist writers/activists-Midwestern USA

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Thu Feb 21 09:14:59 PST 2002

Hi!

Our Gender Studies Program has received a large endowment fund to supplement the gender/feminist archives at our main library. One collecting focus is on the midwestern region of the country, particularly the tri-state area (Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan). We are seeking to identify past and present, well-known and obscure -- women writers/social activists and feminist writers/activists -- from and/or active within the Midwest. A few obvious examples include: Gene Stratton Porter (A Girl of the Limberlost), Alice and Phoebe Cary, Dr. Mary Thomas, Alice Hamilton (physician/health activist) and Edith Hamilton (classics scholar) and their cousin Agnes Hamilton, Harriet Beecher Stowe, May Wright Sewall, and of course Gloria Steinem). Any leads or suggestions are most welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Diane Monaco Department of Economics Gender Studies Program Manchester College