leftist men

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Feb 21 09:48:53 PST 2002

At 10:54 AM 2/21/02 +0200, Tahir Wood wrote:
>don't you worry Tahir. just go back to doing whatever you were doing that's
>important to left struggle. because we all know that feminist analysis and
>critique is unwelcome. us silly girls just don't realize that, if just
>behave and focus our energies on the real problem, capitalism, then all the
>other stuff will just automagically disappear.
>kelley
>
>A disappointing response and not the usual standard of wit that I have
>enjoyed from you. But at least I can see from the above that I am not a
>'leftist man' if the above is indeed an attempt to characterise (or
>caricature?) the 'leftist man'. And don't you worry, silly girls are my
>favourite kind.
>Tahir

in the first place, i wasn't making a generalization in either of my responses to you. i was suggesting that your attempt to claim that i was, was a convenient way to derail the conversation with an accusation that has no grounding. calling people 'leftist men' means nothing more than i think they have leftist consciousnesses to one degree or another about the reality of 'structural oppression'. given that, this would explain why i said that while i tolerated sexism from men in general, i was sick and tired of being understanding to leftist men. as far as i'm concerned, they have no excuse, just as white leftists have no excuse for perpetuating racism in their intereactions on email lists and elsewhere. sure, i can try rilly rilly hard to understand why it happens, why men are afraid of women, etc. etc., but after awhile it gets annoying.

kelley