sex roles

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Feb 21 14:13:13 PST 2002

At 05:01 PM 2/21/02 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>[no source given, but the forwarder seems reliable...]
>
>Different takes on men who take time off for family
>Rebecca Theim
>Published February 20, 2002
>
>Although mothers who take time off from the job to care for children
>frequently contend that they feel professionally penalized, a new study
>indicates that fathers who do so are viewed even more negatively.

over ten years ago I read that, in the countries that have liberal time off for paternity/sick child leave--full pay for 6 months, IIRC--only 1.5-2% of all men took advantage of them. i'm sure the number has increased since then, but I doubt by much.

about 5 years ago, research showed that, among professionals like lawyers and upper mangerial execs, men who had wives who stayed home made quite a bit more than counterparts whose wives had careers. that was due to a combination of men not asking for raises b/c of two income, of employers' not being as generous, and because men whose wives stayed home made it possible for them to work 70 etc hours a week and get lots of face time, which correlates highly with advancement on the corporate ladder.

kelley