O'Neill: "WB has driven poor countries into a ditch"

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Thu Feb 21 22:47:24 PST 2002

>"Vikash Yadav" <vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu>
>Subject: RE: O'Neill: "WB has driven poor >countries into a ditch"
>Peter,
>Below is a very similar article by the New >York Times on O'Neill's
>statement... It does appear that this >"international compassionate
>conservatism" is really a devious plan to >destroy the World Bank.
>Best,
>Vikash Yadav

I suppose if you could find anything at all to like about the bank you could say 100% American domination of it will destroy it.I'm not saying you are saying that, just thinking out loud here.

The greatest game of all though will be how Bush and O'Neill basically divide, conquer and rule: they will largely get what they want on 'liberalization of financial services' WITHOUT a shot being fired at the next round of WTO. Thre will be disagreement over the US's expressed goals, so they will do it outside the WTO. Japan's on board; one European Union to go.

Charles Jannuzi