La France n'existe pas

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Fri Feb 22 05:16:14 PST 2002

France never did exist in South Asia (Dennis's link). The right link is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1826000/1826064.stm

Doug is right on. Francs were broad, beautiful, and distinctly French. Guilders were a showcase of Dutch graphic design. The EU threw away the art on its banknotes for this faceless Euro paper, which is like eurocars, the Audiwagens that you can't tell apart without looking at the logo. It's a lowest-common-denominator committee creature and as such has been embraced wholeheartedly by the French almost on day 1. Abandoning their /terroir/ where the roots of their culture once were, deserting their cafes and working-class musettes, swearing off the wine that cuts down their efficiency, reducing their /midi/ to a measly salad or - ugh - hamburger, and now chucking away Marianne, who adorned their coins, all that the French "exception culturelle" now amounts to really is sex.

Hakki