La France n'existe pas

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Fri Feb 22 23:50:29 PST 2002

It's all over the place, Joanna, how could you have missed it? TV, film, advertising - du cul et encore du cul.

One thing I overlooked in my lambasting of French culture: intellectualism. I remember when Bernard Pivot was the cultural pope and Régis Debray even wrote a book decrying the subservience of French intelligentsia to the media (Le pouvoir intellectuel en France). Well when the TF1 channel went commercial, the Pivot myth vanished overnight: Nobody was watching, it turned out.

Hakki