marxist sociology

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Feb 23 02:20:38 PST 2002

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 02:37:11 +0000 "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> writes:

> > "Marxism After Marx, " by Marx biographer and marxologist,
> >David McLellan, Harper & Row, 1979. Pg. 107, "there is little
> >of abiding philosophical interest in Materialism and
> Empirio-Criticism..."
> > "Main Currents of Marxism, " by Leszek Kolakowski, 2nd vol.
> >of the 3 vols. from Oxford Univ. Press, Chap. XVII, "Philosophy
> >and Politics in the Bolshevik Movement, " pgs. 413-466, pgs.
> >424-445 focus specifically on, Mat. & E. Crit." Very critical
> >as well.
>
> I think better of M&EC than these writers do. It's an amateur effort
> by a
> brilliant writer without philosophical training, and it has the
> strengths
> and weaknesses one would esxpect of such a work. Hilary Putnam used
> it as a
> text in his phil of science class at Harvard in the late 60s, back
> when he
> was a Marxist. The Hegel stuff is deeper, but far lessd polished.

Although it has long been fashionable for professional philosophers to deride Materialism and Empirio-Criticism and to poke holes in Lenin's arguments, some professional philosophers have expressed admiration for it. I seem to recall reading that Antony Flew (himself a right-winger) has had kind words for it.

Jim F.