WSWS on Pearl

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sat Feb 23 11:05:13 PST 2002

I'm sure history will clear your country's name, Brad. In the meantime, here's another heretic who thought the US was trying to get her killed:

Hakki ----------------------------------------------- Intelligence services wanted me killed, says journalist

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/media/story.jsp?dir=61&story=109164&host=3& printable=1

Yvonne Ridley makes astonishing claim in book about her days of captivity with the Taliban

By Jo Dillon, Political Correspondent

Yvonne Ridley, the British journalist captured by the Taliban, this week makes the extraordinary claim that Western intelligence agencies tried to get her killed to bolster public support for the air strikes on Afghanistan.

In her new book, In The Hands of the Taliban, published tomorrow, Express journalist Ms Ridley, 43, says despite her release from captivity she still has "unfinished business" surrounding her time in Afghanistan.

She claims that on her return to Pakistan she found her hotel room had been searched. In London, the locks on her Soho flat had apparently been tampered with. A journalist on the Arab TV station Al Jazeera then showed her a collection of as yet unverified documents. They purported to be copies of a dossier of personal and financial papers and pictures.

When told they had been handed to the Taliban, Ms Ridley asked: "Who the hell was trying to get me shot?" (...)