Capitalism Forever?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 24 19:10:13 PST 2002

>Assuming the complete victory of imperial liberalism, which
>now seems assured, I expect there to be a considerable shift
>in capitalism (meaning the economic and social system). In
>the future, for instance, the ruling classes, now at peace
>with themselves and cohered into a single entity, may be much
>more interested in stability than acceleration of production
>and accumulation. Hence strong regulation of markets and
>other capitalist sacred cows, and the establishment of a
>universal Welfare/police state could be anticipated, along
>with a generous degree of Byzantine decadence appropriate
>to nearly uncontested dominanace.

I don't think so. There is considerable evidence that relatively generous social provisions in the Fordist era were due to three things: (a) competition with the Soviet bloc, (b) the threat of social unrest at home, and (c) the long boom from 1945 through 1973. One sided class war doesn't diminish when these three things are absent. Moreover, capitalists are NEVEr at peace with themselves; in a capitalist economy, economics is the pursuit of war by other means--granted these are often better than military action!--and right now the world economy is in crisis. I don't mean the current recession. The long boom is over, and there's no particular reason to think that the crisis of overproduction Brenner decribes is over. Moreover, the IS economy is in a secular decline, diminsihing increases in lots of key variables. When capitalism comes back, bet on Asia, not the US; in these circumstances, we can expect plenty of decadence, but also plenry of labor discipline, cost-cutting, cutbacks, concessions, and incresaes in the aboslute and relative rate of exploitation. I'd love to be proved wrong. I don'ts ee it. Doug, you know more than I about this stuff, whaddaya think?

jks