Russian cinema

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Feb 25 01:41:54 PST 2002

Hey, I caught part of a Soviet WWII film I liked a while ago but didn't get the name. Maybe you remember it.

These two Soviet soldiers escape from a German labor camp and commandeer a tank. They're trying to escape and wind up driving across a forced-labor agricultural camp staffed by female slave labor. The woman see the tank and start running after it crying "It's one of ours! It's one of ours!" thinking they've been saved. At another point a Soviet partisan captures a Nazi soldier, but his wide convinces him not to execute the prisoner because he's working class. Ring any bells?

BTW, when you were growing up, did they install the Radio Tochky in Romanian apartments, you know, the one-station radio that came with every flat? The people I'm staying with insist on blasting their Radio Tochka at all hours.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ---------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:18:11 -0800 From: joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> Subject: Re: Russian cinema

At 01:50 PM 02/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Country which has an amazing film industry, though I
>have no idea who's funding it, is Russia. Some great
>films (seen by practically noone in the west) have
>come out of there in the last five years. How is this possible?

I grew up watching Russian movies (in Romania)...the WWII movies were amazing and a couple of years ago I went to see the film version of "Lady and the Dog." It's really hard to believe that anyone could make a good movie of a very beautiful but fragile Chekhov story, but the movie was outstanding.

In the last five years, I've only seen "Prisoner of the Mountains"...which was pretty good. What else do you recommend?

Joanna