WSWS on Pearl

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 25 17:29:27 PST 2002

>> >Yuck. The only effects I can see from posting a remark
>> >like this is to drive people out of the left and to incite
>> >hatred against those who remain in it.
>> >
>> >mbs
>>
>>You think so?
>
>Yes. and your further response is utterly
>beside the point. You're parading on the grave
>of someone who, as far as anyone here knows, was
>a complete innocent.
>
>mbs

Obviously, we have left behind the period in which enemies of U.S. imperialism often made a distinction between the "guilty" and the "innocent" and sought to protect the lives of the latter and sometimes even the former. When you hear the testimonies of U.S. soldiers in the Winter Soldier Investigation, for instance, you'll likely come to the conclusion that the Vietnamese enemies of the empire had a higher standard than the empire, with regard to the treatment of prisoners of war, enemy civilians, etc. Not any more. Today's enemies of the empire, more often than not, go by the empire's own standards (e.g., U.S. warplanes bombed Al Jazeera's Kabul office and almost hit a nearby BBC office as well). -- Yoshie