ADL spied on behalf of South Africa gov't in aparthaid era

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue Feb 26 20:27:48 PST 2002

Hi,

No, the quotes are cooked. Totally taken out of context and slyly arranged to change the fact that I was criticizing ADL. I threatened to sue the Nation unless they issued a retraction. I argued back and forth with Victor Navasky for a long time. We agreed to have an attorney for the Nation look at the original quotes and Cockburn's use. The compromise was that I got to write a letter to the editor and the Nation agreed to force Cockburn to apologize in print. Then, in the same column with the apology (such as it was, hard to tell it was an apology or retraction), he attacked me again in a vicious manner, although this time without cooking the quotes. The attack on Friedman was part of some obscure personal feud that I got caught up in. Cockburn completely misrepresents the Friedman article in his column, as well.

Some years later Cockburn brought the matter back up in a column, suggesting I was soft on the issue of government surveillance. I sent Katrina Vanden Heuvel a pound of articles I had written or edited on government intelligence abuse. Cockburn then did a 180 and said in a column that he apparently had overlooked my work in the area of surveillance abuse.

Sigh...

For the record, I am a co-founder of Police Misconduct and Civil Rights Law Report, the leading legal serial for helping attorneys sue government agencies over issues of police abuse and illegal surveillance.

Check out some of my articles and other work on the subject at:

http://www.publiceye.org/liberty/Security_for_Activists.htm

-Chip Berlet