Alexander Cockburn on Daniel Pearl

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Wed Feb 27 09:32:03 PST 2002

Hi,

Primary sources are better, but with deadline pressure, sometimes the secondary source is what you have. The slogan in journalism being "Go with what you got." But I agree with Brad that it is better, then, to say "X,quoted by Y in." But editors often hate any inline citation in articles.

In our Z Magazine workshops for lefty journalists, Holly Sklar and I argue that fighting for inline citation in articles is important for 3 reasons:

1) It's the ethical thing to do. 2) It rebuts the guru syndrome whereby famous writers imply they are omniscient. 3) It increases the diversity of voices in public discourse.

-Chip Berlet