April 20 D.C. demonstrations will be united

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Thu Feb 28 08:50:28 PST 2002

Isn't the "will be united" part just wishful thinking on the IAC/ANSWER's part? I predicted publicly earlier this month that ANSWER would move its April 27th protest as soon as it became clear that more stuff was happening the weekend before.

If WWP/IAC/ANSWER was interested in "unity" they would stop organizing these competing protests, where they take advantage of the work of other groups and take credit for the results. I think we have every reason to believe this time that ANSWER saw the handwriting on the wall, that the anti-war movements weren't rallying behind their red flag, so they cut their losses to avoid another embarassment like New York.

I'm sure it was a bitter pill to swallow at the WWP offices when they realized that they had been out organized by a network of anarchists with fewer resouces.

Chuck0

jacdon at earthlink.net wrote:

> APRIL MARCH ON WASHINGTON UNITY STATEMENT
> FROM THE A.N.S.W.E.R. COALITION
> Issued February 27, 2002

> International A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition (Act Now to Stop War & End Racism)
> is announcing that it is moving its National March on Washington Against
> War and Racism from April 27 to April 20, 2002.
>
> [For a Calendar of Activities for April 19-22, scroll to bottom.]
>
> Clearly everyone understands the need for many activists from many
> movements to be in Washington D.C. to protest the dangerous racist war
> drive that threatens the people of the planet and to fight Bush and
> Ashcroft's attempts to dismantle the Bill of Rights, criminalize
> dissent, and investigate and imprison people based on racial and
> religious profiling.
>
> A.N.S.W.E.R. calls on people to rally at the White House at 11 a.m. on
> April 20, 2002, before marching to the Justice Department and on to a
> unified rally with the other coalition. This march will be the first
> that breaks the ban on demonstrations in front of the White House that
> was unconstitutionally imposed prior to anti-war demonstrations in
> September during the head-long rush to war.
>
> A.N.S.W.E.R. has been organizing for an anti-war March on Washington
> since November 2001 and widely disseminated a call for April 27 in
> December. The Coalition settled on the April 27 date out of deference to
> the National Colombia Mobilization taking place April 19-22. In recent
> weeks other groups and individuals have come together to call an
> anti-war march on April 20. It became evident that having two anti-war
> demonstrations on succeeding weekends on seemingly similar themes,
> without very compelling reasons, would be a disservice to the movement.
> Upon learning about the April 20 mobilization, A.N.S.W.E.R. took the
> initiative to try to open lines of communication in an effort to rectify
> this unfortunate situation.
>
> People around the country are saying that what the movement needs on
> April 20 is a united front. This means those with political differences
> marching with independence while showing that we can come together to
> fight the war makers. All movements have different currents. The only
> way we are going to stop George Bush's declared "endless war" is to have
> a movement that comes together against this common foe.
>
> A.N.S.W.E.R. believes that the anti-war movement must be broad, that it
> must embrace the workers movement, unions, communities of faith,
> immigrants, students and youth, and particularly communities of color.
> We also believe that the movement must strongly express its solidarity
> with the struggling people of the Middle East, Asia, Africa, Latin
> America and the Caribbean, who are fighting to determine their own
> destinies free from U.S. imperialist and colonial domination and that of
> the transnational corporations.
>
> Our experience since forming the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition on September 14
> [...]

-- << Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)