Why do they hate us?

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Feb 28 09:48:40 PST 2002

At 10:21 PM 02/27/2002 -0500, you wrote re "Why do they hate us?"
>[Oh, wait, it's insensitive to ask this question. Someone call and tell
>CNN.]

Not insensitive but....Well it's a kind of "When did you stop hitting your wife?" kind of question, or it's becoming that anyway.

I find it interesting at any rate that this question (Why do they hate us?) is being raised in such a way as to make Americans paranoid and to justify whatever measures the current regime wants to take to curb civil liberties and repress any form of dissent. Because the way they pursue this question, they are asserting 1) that others hate us and 2) that others have no valid reason to feel this way, and, most importantly, 3) that we are the same as the ruling regime.

The reality is that the world has a much, much more forgiving attitude toward the U.S., allowing them to be at worse naive rather than evil, and always comparing them favorably with the Europeans. This attitude is very well illustrated in the movie "Men with Guns" ...at your local video store, but also in such classics as Greene's "The Quiet American."

In eastern europe, for example, the U.S. is always viewed as, on the one hand, materialist, lonely, provincial, ignorant and, on the other hand, as "free" in a way that few other places on earth are free. There's something about the view of the U.S. as providing a level playing field that is enormously inspiring and attractive to foreigners. I am not saying that this perspective is necessarily accurate, I'm just saying that it exists.

However, note that this aspect of being American and of America's appeal is not getting much emphasis because, for one thing, we are in the process of losing it. So even if you are talking to the most stalwart patriot, this is something to mention.

Joanna B.