Soviet Philosophy

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 13:14:13 PST 2002

>Whatever you might like to say about Bordiga, he did not bring marxism and
>communism into disrepute like your heroes did (jeez a total mediocrity
>like Kruschev - do you honestly expect the next revolutionary wave to base
>itself on the legacy of men like that?) If we are to get more of the like
>of Stalin and Kruschev, well I think the armchair is not so bad compared to
>that.

I won't comment on Bordiga, but I want to come to the defense of Khrushchev (note sp here please); he was a Stalinist apparatchik (boo hiss), and a pretty bad guy while Unle Joe was around, except for an important role in coordinating thedefense of Stalingra. He was the Stavka's man in Chuikov's bunker, helped to hold the West Bank of the Volga during the dark months of Nov-Dec 42. Not too shappy. But his real first achievement was the dismantling of the Gulag Archipelago, and turning the USSR from a totalitarin state of terror into a mere police state. I am not sneering, this was big stuff. Second, K saved the world by being the grownup in the Cuban missiles crisis. Third, he made a huge step towards democraization and civility in the USSR by stepping down quietly when he was voted out by the CC of the CPSU; heasid that they (including he) had shot Beria, but he went out by an alsmost normal means. So I think Khrushchev deserves our respect,

jks