What n' BAI?

rhisiart at earthlink.net rhisiart at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 28 16:12:08 PST 2002

At 03:31 PM 2/28/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>I believe that it is just to repair the KPFK transmitter.

that's it in a nut shell. won't be more than about 20 hours from start to finish. WBAI, as you know and love it, will be it's usual self soon.

this kind of national fundraising effort could be a precursor to fund raising to pay off the foundation's huge debt. just a possibility, so please no rumors!

i think the national linkup is exciting. won't replace local programming, of course. but has interesting implications. most people remember pacifica's national coverage of events going way back: for instance coverage of congressional investigations into the vietnam war, like fulbright's, etc., if i'm not mistaken.

this kind of meaningful public affairs programming was long dead under the old, miscreant board. could be making a comeback if listeners want it.

as many of you may know, lew hill, the founder of pacifica, wasn't to fond of getting the public involved with pacifica. his memories of WW II's bandwagon effect on pubic opinion -- much the same as the bandwaggon garbage about bush's "war" we're seeing now -- turned him off. his approach made good sense in his day.

but the restored KPFK is very receptive to listener opinions, solicits them, responds to them, listens to them. several listeners groups have started around the LA area. under the FPNN (free pacifica neighborhood network) rubric: http://pw1.netcom.com/~cgunther/fpnn/fpnn.html

a much more democratic pacifica has arrived, thanks to the demolition of the old, "operating in secret" board. and there's no reason why any of you who want to can't be a part of it regarding your local pacifica station.