Zizek interview

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Feb 28 18:40:36 PST 2002

Miles:
> >Second hand smoke is a fairly well documented public health issue.
> >Do we really need this tortured psychoanalytic explanation for why
> >people don't want to breathe a cancerous substance?
> >
> >Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Carl Remick:
> And sometimes it's the anti-tobacco zealots who are blowing smoke. I
> flatly do not believe that secondhand smoke constitutes a serious public
> health threat.

I don't know about secondhand smoke being a serious public health threat, but I do know that one of the tortures of the earlier part of my long corporate sojourn was sitting in meetings and classes where half the people in the room smoked. After an hour or so a dense haze would settle in the room, burning my eyes and throat with an effect that lasted for hours, sometimes a day or two. Now -- because I'm an old crank and have money in the bank -- I'd just walk out. But then I was not so tough and a desert of many corporate years stretched before me, which I needed to cross slowly and carefully. Eventually the smoke cleared.

-- Gordon