testament and testicle

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 28 23:24:41 PST 2002

The "nut cases" (cute pun) may be on to something here, the suggestion being that both words derive from L. testis = witness, from testari = to be a witness, attest, make a will, etc. Add -ment(um) to the verb (which indicates the result or product of the action of the verb) and you have testament. Add the diminutive -cule to the noun and you have "little witness," viz. of virility. (The OED considers this etymology uncertain but admits a 16th c. French parallel.) --CGE