Dawn of the Euro

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Tue Jan 1 03:08:12 PST 2002

Here's how Le Monde sees it: http://a1692.g.akamai.net/f/1692/2042/1h/medias.lemonde.fr/medias/image_arti cle/02010101_euro+mad1.jpg

Greenspan and Wall Street don't see much to write home about, as the euro continues to stay weak vs the dollar. Greenspan says the dollar's strength comes from fewer workers' rights in the US, which attracts EU investors and contributes to EU joblessness. The US is the EU's third-world labor market, as it were. How true is this? Isn't the dollar's strength due to other factors - primarily geostrategic ones - like the pool of petrodollars and the pool of dollars in the captive Latin American market? Anyone know of anystudies challenging the fed's view?

Hakki