Dawn of the Euro

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Jan 1 18:22:59 PST 2002

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Dennis, you keep announcing this mysterious and dark struggle, going
> on for months now, ...titanic forces stirring in the subterranean ocean
> beds... And I have seen nary a ripple.

It's not mysterious or dark at all, it's right out in the open: multinational capitalism has arrived in Europe, and East Asia simply refuses to roll over and collapse and sell off all its chip technology to Wall Street punters.

> So, how about something concrete, like a prediction of the next
> Tsunami or something...

Heiner Mueller once said, the text knows more than the author. The words and icons of the media culture know more than I do. I'm just the swing shift at Barnabas Telecommunications, Inc.

> It all reminds me of the drum roll in Richard Strauss's Thus Spake
> Zarathustra...

More like the bell leitmotif in Berg's "Lulu", always too early and for that very reason too late. But the EU is now asserting the primacy of politics over economics, social democracy over markets, and labor-time over exchange-value; only multinational governments can counter multinational markets.

-- Dennis