Obsolescent Programmers

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Jan 2 10:18:38 PST 2002

At 08:33 PM 12/31/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>It's interesting how programmers are their own worst enemy,
>blaming themselves or rather other programmers who blindly
>resist getting with it, whatever the current "it" is. Talk
>about internalization.

Some notes in response to the programmers profile.

1. The term "Bug" originates with Grace SomethingOrOther (a woman programmer working for the navy) back in the early days. The big machines were going on the blink due to some fried cockroaches in their innards.

2. From what I observed in the last twenty years, programming is and remains a craft. Young programmers tend to be a pain in the butt: because they are not disciplined, because they don't know how to work in groups, because programming IS a craft and they are very junior members. They are also overworked and underpaid.

3. Once programmers get older they tend to wise up. They realize for example that while the technology calls for/demands standardization and code sharing, the logic of "private property" makes this impossible. So, in getting their job done, they have two equally powerful forces pulling them in opposite directions. So, efficiency and serviceability tends to fall to the bottom of the list. They are very aware of this situation.

4. Many programmers have had the experience of being used and abused by their employers: overworked, burned out, thrown away. They do understand that their interests and those of their employers diverge.

5. Which class do they identify with? From what I can tell most do not identify with the ruling class; they tend to be skeptical and fairly well-informed. In previous revolutions, you had to take over the telephones and media. In the next revolution, it is more likely to be that you need the cooperation of the computer programmers. I'd say the chances were good.

Joanna B