Robert Fisk

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Jan 2 21:41:52 PST 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Yoshie wrote:

> I take it that Fisk was trying to say, a little hyperbolically, that
> he could identify with those who blindly attacked him, merely because
> he looked "Western," unable to understand what forces were actually
> responsible for their oppression, much less how to counteract them
> effectively; and also that he could imagine what circumstances were
> likely to breed such murderous rage and make it indiscriminate.
> That's a way of looking at the world that a certain kind of literary
> and sociological imagination teaches you.

Or the combination of a little empathy and intelligence. I doubt Brad is incapable of fathoming from whence such murderous, indiscriminate rage emanates. Rather, he was wondering what purpose could possibly be served by demonstrating one's understanding of said rage. If not an implicit apologia or endorsement, then what? An attempt to help others understand? Perhaps, but if so, it's as misguided as preaching to the choir.

-- Luke