US economy turning?

Barry DeCicco bdecicco2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 04:20:37 PST 2002

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject:

Doug:

[The bourgie consensus is now that the U.S. economy is bottoming, or has already bottomed, and is about to turn up, perhaps strongly. The leftie consensus is that it's only begun worsening. Hmmm.]

When I see those articles, I just remember that these are from the people who on Sep 10 were denying that we were in a recession. When the recession had officially starter in March. Then, in October/November, they were blaming it all on Sept 11, and saying that we were in a recession, but that it'd end with the fourth quarter.

I'm amazed at the fact that these blindly optimistic fools just keep pumping it out. It goes in my mental list of things that show that USA media is not free and diverse.

I remember reading a comment by Milton Friedman, that 'economists learn about recessions the same way that everybody else does, by reading about them in the newspaper'. I used to agree with that, but now I think that he was giving far too much credit to economists.

Barry