Robert Fisk

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 09:48:16 PST 2002

--- Bradford DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> You really don't get it, do you?
>
> A lynch mob chases an innocent man, eager to beat
> and possibly kill
> him not because of anything he has done but because
> of the color of
> his skin. One can say that one understands the
> sources of their fear
> and rage. One can regret the upbringing that has
> given them such
> a--racist--way of responding to the world. No matter
> how much
> literary and sociological imagination one has, only
> a murderous
> racist can say that in their place one would join
> the lynch mob.

I think only someone who has been in the position of those Afghani refugees can say with any confidence what they would do. Fear, grief and anger do some pretty disturbing things to the most highminded of people sometimes. When you've lived in a country where banditry/war was the rule of the land for 20 years I'm sure the tendency is worsened.