falsifiability

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Jan 3 12:15:43 PST 2002

Charles Brown wrote:

>To approach it another way, would fund managers or >(whatever the
appropriate financial officers are) put their >money where their mouths are, be more or less >enthusiastic about investing in "Third World " countries with >the U.S. military running all over the world making war ?
>Are third world investments more or less safe following the >U.S.victory
in Afghanistan ?

Just on one orthogonal, but, I think, important technical point:

Investment by the fund management sector of the developed world in the "Third World", under any normal meaning of the term, is minimal. If you take Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Indonesia, Thailand and South Africa, you've basically accounted for the vast majority of all portfolio investment in "emerging markets". And the investment in South Africa is massively concentrated in the mining and financial sectors.

dd

%%%%%%

Thank you DD for the instruction. Although the proportion of the whole colonial investment might be small, are there other "investment officers" in transnational corporations that are not financial corps., oil, auto etc. and then "IMFund managers, World Bank, etc. ? "