Question for Econo-types

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 17:40:13 PST 2002

I think the inflation preoccupation is a bit of a shibboleth. Inflation in the seventies shaped a political generation. Right wing parties were elected to stop it. Left wing parties could not be elected unless they committed to tight spending. It's a formative experience for everyone.

As it happens, these days, its all bullshit. There are no inflationary pressures (except maybe London house prices). These politicians congratulate themselves for reaching a target that they were heading to anyway. It just means that their economies are not very vibrant.

In message <p05100300b85a421e25f9@[216.254.77.128]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>pms wrote:
>
>>But anyway, my question, if someone would be so kind: With soft pricing in
>>manufactured goods and all, why is EU worried about inflation? Is it
>>because they provide services like healthcare which are heading into
>>hyper-inflation? And because their people have unions? Or is it some other
>>kinda thing?
>
>Euroland is closer to deflation than inflation, so I can only guess
>that the ECB wants to keep unemployment high to keep political pressure
>on for "reforms" - i.e., a more U.S.-style labor market, i.e., working
>harder for less.
>
>Doug

-- James Heartfield Sustaining Architecture in the Anti-Machine Age is available at GBP19.99, plus GBP3.26 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'. www.audacity.org