100 Afghan refugees freeze or starve every day in one camp

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Fri Jan 4 03:31:41 PST 2002

The story's also in The Independent.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia_china/story.jsp?dir=71&story=112688 &host=3&printable=1

(...) The camp was started nine years ago by a local aid agency. It was soon growing out of control. There was little help from international aid agencies, whose efforts were undermined by systematic harassment from the Taliban.

Dr Syed Abubakr Rasooli, now the director of the World Health Organisation in Herat, worked then for the Ministry of Public Health. He recalls: "A mullah, a Pashtun peasant from the Kandahar area, was made my boss. The WHO gave us three motorcycles to visit the refugees. My boss, the mullah, gave them to the Taliban. Soon the mullah was driving around in an air-conditioned Land Cruiser, and the refugees were not getting what little they had before."

The Taliban enforced their harsh regime in the camps. Amina Tolah, a 37-year-old health education teacher at Maslakh, said: "Men and women were working together. The situation was so serious we simply had to. Then the Talibs came, they beat the men and took them away and abused us, calling us prostitutes. We were told to go home."

In September, with the number of refugees doubling by the week, and facing a humanitarian disaster, the International Organisation for Migration took over the running of the camp. Dan Gill, the organisation's director in Herat, said: "What we discovered was shocking. It was a complete disaster. It was the worst example of a bad situation. The international agencies had basically given up on Afghanistan, it was a lost cause. (...)