Robert Fisk

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Fri Jan 4 12:08:55 PST 2002

Not even close. Warlords and blood feuds are the way Afghanistan functions, in the absence of foreign meddling. Warlords are military commanders, dispensers of justice, managers of economic activities (agriculture and animal husbandry but also smuggling, opium selling, banditry), and social benefactors: The warlord keeps his people fed. The blood feud is the way they deter unnecessary killings: You don't go and blast anyone you feel like because by doing so you've put a contract on your own head. Warlords don't tangle with each other unless absolutely necessary, but when they do they take no prisoners. None of them has the fabled full-spectrum dominance so they can't afford to have fits of pique. Even the bloody, sadistic Dostum has to watch his step because his men could easily find a less dangerous employer.

Hakki