Unemployment, BLS and "institutionalization"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 4 13:54:35 PST 2002

Lance Murdoch wrote:

>The BLS unemployment statistics do not include people who are
>"institutionalized". I have been trying to look for a BLS
>definition of this, but have been unable to find one thus far. I
>am especially curious if the word institutionalized expands from not
>just the domestic prison population, but those on parole and/or
>probation as well.

<http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/grpqtr/grpqtr01.txt>

Group Quarters Population -- The group quarters population includes all people not living in households. Two general categories of people in group quarters are recognized: 1) the institutionalized population which includes people under formally authorized, supervised care or custody in institutions at the time of enumeration (such as correctional institutions, nursing homes, and juvenile institutions) and 2) the noninstitutionalized population which includes all people who live in group quarters other than institutions (such as college dormitories, military quarters, and group homes).