Fwd: Re: Finance and Economics after the Dotcom Crash

P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk
Sat Jan 5 07:10:03 PST 2002

Picking up the threads after the hol.s, I'd like to add to Doug's comments on the following:

I think also due to their inability to distinguish between saving, hoarding and investment -- and also the delusion that future consumption can be sustained by present hoarding.

They know about saving (= abstention from consuming some part of revenue) and take for granted that their (monetary) savings get recycled (by someone else) into investment (= building new (physical) means of production, broadly defined -- i.e. including know-how as well as its instantiation in machines, etc.).

Since individually they can always withdraw their savings from the bank (unless they live in Argentina...) to finance consumption, they believe that personal hoarding is possible for indefinite periods. Since they get interest on their savings accounts, they confuse (the appearance of) extended hoarding with investment.

Symmetrically, they muddle up dis-saving, drawing down stocks, and production. Since they subconsciously believe in an imaginary hoard of stuff which can be drawn on to sustain consumption, they overlook the fact that all the investment in the world is useless unless the resulting means of production are put to use.

Because they get interest on their saving account, they imagine that means of production can produce revenue without labour.

Julian Wells