Robert Wade

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sat Jan 5 09:58:52 PST 2002

Robert Hunter Wade:

> Slow economic growth and vast income disparities breed cohorts of
> partly educated young people who grow up in anger and despair. Some
> try by legal or illegal means to migrate to the west; some join
> militant ethnic or religious movements directed at each other and
> their own rulers. But now the idea has spread among a few vengeful
> fundamentalists that the US should be attacked directly.

It is incredible how everybody knew about September 11 before it happened. What I mean to say is that people who were pro-gun before September 11 demonstrated how September 11 was a result of gun control. People who are anti-globalization can demonstrate how it is a result of globalization. Pro-democracy people demonstrate how it is a result of a lack of democracy in middle-eastern countries.

It must be very frustrating for Osama Bin Laden. No matter what he says about why he did what he did, people choose to interpret the events in a manner that support their pre-existing political positions.

Terrorism does NOT spring from the poorest countries of the world:

Timothy McVeigh: US Shoko Asahara: Japan Al Quiada: mostly Saudi Arabia Richard Reid (Shoe Bomber): Britain Basques: Spain IRA: Northern Ireland

Terrorism stems from a sense of humiliation and a fear that a culture is going to be subsumed in some larger culture. Poverty has little to do with it.

Paul Prescod