Marxism is a science

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Sat Jan 5 11:11:48 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Fitch" <gcf at panix.com>

> All this appears to assume that only human beings are or possess
> minds. But there can be non-human minds; in fact, mind could
> be an attribute or aspect of all beings, or of the world itself. So
> the moon may be more difficult to get rid of than is implied
> above.
>
> -- Gordon

Well I for one don't espouse an anthropocentric perspective on the role of minds in the parsing[s] of space-time. I can't make sense of the-world-in-itself. In my view and many others there is no *one* way the world is; internal realism. That IR pays little attention to the ways organismic biology and ecology add to the discussion and complexification of the issues involved is part and parcel of how philosophy of science has held up physics as president of the sciences. I think the need to argue against that view is greater than ever even as lots of people are now looking at philosophy of science while linking it to investigations of medicine, ecology, neurophysiology etc....Sure QT and computability are fascinating but getting a handle on the dynamics of living systems is far more pressing. We've been fascinated with the invariants-atemporal couplet for too long, it's time for intense scrutiny of variants-plasticity-adaptability-temporality and similar quaternities. The 'origins' and persistence of experiential systems is every bit as fascinating as 'dark matter' etc.

Ian