Covering Dissent

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 16:46:27 PST 2002

--- "Joe R. Golowka" <joeG at ieee.org> wrote: > From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org>
> > As for Kosovo,
> > I support US military to stop genocide
>
> Do you also support the CIA funding of the KLA in
> order to bring this
> situation about?

So what should they have done? Let them fight Serbian tanks using antique rifles like we did the Bosnians? Blaming the CIA for the rise of the KLA is stupid, the Serbian government quite deliberately created the situation in Kosovo, and the KLA's increased importance was in direct response to that.

Do you support the PLO in everything they do? Or do you accept that in a dreadful situation they are the best (sadly) that the Palestinians have? Yes the KLA are thugs, so were most of the IRA, much of the PLO, etc, etc.

If you want a villain in Yugoslavia, then it's the British. If you want a villain in the Kosovan war, then it's the Serbs. If you want a campaign run cynically, then it's the allied bombing. But I wish they'd done it much earlier. As I suspect do my Bosnian friends.

> > just as I supported US troops in
> > Little Rock to stop segregation.
>
> Would you support England bombing the whole US,
> killing numerous innocent
> people and ruining the economy in the process, in
> order to force
> desegregation in Little Rock?

And where has America done anything remotely like this? One can take these analogies too far. Do you support the use of sanctions against South Africa? What was that, but an attempt to ruin the South African economy.