anti-terrorism in WA state

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 17:11:16 PST 2002

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/53395_terror05.shtml

Civil libertarians in Washington say they're worried that proposed new anti-terrorism laws could lump together peaceful protesters with others whose actions are criminal, despite assurances from state officials that they aren't trying to stifle free debate. ............. State officials insist the intent of the proposed laws is not to restrict free speech, but keep the public safe. .............. The latest draft defines "terroristic intent" as "the intent to use a weapon of mass destruction, or to cause substantial damage to a habitable structure or to critical infrastructure with the intent to intimidate or coerce a civilian population or to affect the conduct of government or a unit of government." .............. Thompson, of Allied Daily Newspapers, said he's particularly troubled by new exemptions to the state's open records law. "This is the worst attack on the public records act that I've seen in the 12 years I've been doing this," Thompson said.