Negri on globo

Alessandro Coricelli alessandro.coricelli at rcn.com
Mon Jan 7 06:33:35 PST 2002

on 1/7/02 8:45 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi at furuhashi.1 at osu.edu wrote:

> Thomas says:
>
>>> Are we to
>>> forego old age pension, public education,
>>> unemployment insurance,
>>> national health insurance, etc. as they are part of
>>> "the hellish cage
>>> which is the nation State...whose ideology leads
>>> inevitably to the
>>> gages of Auschwitz"
>>
>> No.
>
> If not, to say that "the nation State" is "the hellish cage...whose
> ideology leads inevitably to the gages of Auschwitz" is not even a
> hyperbole.

you're right, it is not a hyperbole. It is just the simple truth. The link between ethnicity and territory/land(the very concept of the nation state) leads inevitably(and this is not an "opinion", but a fact) to the gages of Auschwitz.

Now, the *salary*(broadly intended) has been a conquest *despite* the nation state. It is not a "given" from the nation state. It is the result of the worker's movement and/or an *answer*(of the nation state) to it. We have to decide whether the salary(even in its "social" meaning) has a progressive connotation still.

ciao, alessandro