Robert Wade

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 7 10:33:32 PST 2002

"John K. Taber" wrote:

> Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net asks:
>
> [snip]
>
> Nice wording. I can't even mention Venezuela today and what
> appears to be our pushing to get Hugo Chavez out of power.
> Oh, sure, I could be wrong. It ain't military, Chavez's
> opponents claim he is pursuing commie objectives so that ain't
> democracy. And maybe we ain't behind it.
>
> Nope, I can't meet one of your stipulations.
>
> Oh, well.

I probably owe Paul Prescod an apology. Until demonstrated otherwise I assume posters to this list belong to the left in some sense or other, and I jumped on him for what I considered illegitimate left self-criticism. But Charles J is probably right, we have a troll on our hands, so criticism of his style is irrelevant. The enemy's style is their own business and none of my concern.

On this general topic a remark by Juan Bosch sums up U.S. history in Latin America. (I don't remember his exact words, but my paraphrase is close.) Every Latin American patriot leader who trusted the United States ended up dead or in exile.

Carrol