Negri on globo

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 8 13:55:11 PST 2002

>>>Here we go again - only two choices.
>>>
>>>Doug
>>
>>Is there any "choice" here? It's not as though Negri, you, I, or
>>anyone else can today "choose" not to be a citizen of any nation.
>>The fate of actually existing stateless persons -- the fate no one
>>would "choose" -- is a tragic one, as any Palestinian, for
>>instance, can tell you.
>
>For a revolutionary, you seem remarkably constrained by the present.
>
>Doug

Neither reforms nor revolutions are possible without first of all understanding the present, with all its constraints as well as possibilities. As of now, we don't have communist social relations that can make statelessness a universal emancipatory condition. Instead, we have capitalist social relations that make statelessness, literal and virtual, a debilitating burden that befalls an increasing number of unfortunate persons and peoples in the periphery.... -- Yoshie