Respects to Joey Ramone, but

ravi gadfly at home.com
Tue Jan 8 15:02:46 PST 2002

Ripley wrote:

> none of this means that jazz etc is american because it has so-called white
> influences. rather, i'm saying that your either/or is too simplistic.
>
> let me ask you: do you have the same problem with calling rock 'n' roll
> american?
>
> At 05:34 PM 1/3/02 -0500, ravi wrote:
>
>>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>>ravi wrote:
>
>>>doug, with all respect, arent you getting into the "what is" and
>>>"what ought" confusion here? if you say "the U.S is too much like
>>>this now" then you are conceding that "american and white are
>>>synonyms", aren't you? perhaps you mean the U.S is too radicalized
>>>in making the false dichotomy you state (whites claim name and
>>>fortune, others are ill-paid help)? if so:

kelley, who are you talking to? me? or doug? in case its me: what is the either/or you accuse me of? that i am saying either jazz is american or it isnt? etc? i am not saying that - actually i am not saying much really, since i do not know enough history - i am asking questions, such as the meaningfulness of saying "jazz is american" in a particular context (one of pride: america gave the world jazz).

--ravi