Negri on globo

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 8 15:27:43 PST 2002

> > It seems to me that "the multitude of particles, atoms, and
>> singularities" is an apt name for the masses of consumers, more
>> likely status-conscious rather than class-conscious, who experience
>> hardships, can articulate particular grievances, but have yet to
>> discover sources of their exploitation and oppressions, much less
>> uniting in solidarity with other members of the class nationally and
>> internationally.
>> --
> > Yoshie
>
>Doesn't this just avoid whether it's a valid presupposition that
>exploitation is *not* an essentially contestable concept like class or
>democracy or race and lead us into the thicket of an authoritarian
>stance towards "all those with false consciousness"?
>
>Ian

If I had any choice in the matter, I'd rather be bourgeois than proletarian and "live right and talk left," as some of my aesthetic heroes -- Oscar Wilde, Luchino Visconti, Pier Paolo Pasolini, etc. -- did. But I don't, and few do....

"It is only by not paying one's bills that one can hope to live in the memory of the commercial classes." -- Oscar Wilde -- Yoshie