Negri on globo

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 20:26:14 PST 2002

Yoshie said:

>The Enron debacle helps to clarify to all that piddling stock
>ownership in 401(k) plans doesn't make capitalists out of workers:
><http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/business/120501_news_enronretirement.html>.
>401(k) plans are just a boondoggle by which corps get rid of workers'
>defined-benefit pensions.
>- --
>Yoshie

Didn't you write something in Wall Street, Doug, along this line with regards to privatized pension plans and their being foisted off on the public? I'm afraid it's late here, and I don't want to wake up my wife just for a reference. !{)>

>------------------------------
>

>Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:10:26 -0600
>From: jeffrey fisher <jfisher at igc.org>
>Subject: Re: Negri on globo
>
>are there non-working-class folks who are not capitalists? just
>wondering, because if so, then i think you haven't answered the question.

Sure, they're called "peasants", I believe. And like capitalists, proletariat, and nobles, there was and is a great variety of them existing within the greater classes.
>------------------------------
>=================
>So a worker who retires with a 401(k) valued at a million bucks is not
>a capitalist?
>
>Ian

Could be. Does this hypothetical worker also directly control his/her stock and/or means of production, or is it managed by someone else?

Hey, you economic historians out there! Is there nowadays a greater proportion of people (let's say globally) owning a greater proportion of stock than in the past?

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:43:58 -0600
>From: jeffrey fisher <jfisher at igc.org>
>Subject: Re: Negri on globo
>
>On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 06:29 PM, Ian Murray wrote:
>

> > =================
> > So a worker who retires with a 401(k) valued at a million bucks is not
> > a capitalist?
> >
> > Ian
> >

>i was coming from the other direction, but they're both reasonable
>questions, i think. part of what i'm wondering, though, is whether the
>mere possession of money makes one a capitalist,

No, it doesn't. You need to own what MAKES the money.

rather than just rich.
>isn't there a difference between being wealthy and being a capitalist,
>even if most capitalists are (maybe) wealthy?
>
>pardon me if i'm being naive, but . . .

Thank God if you are: I'll feel more comfortable in my naivete, then.

!{)>

Todd