Fw: Visualizing Congress

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Tue Jan 8 22:24:29 PST 2002

Nathan Newman writes:

>As the note below observes,
>the parties are far more polarized >in voting patterns today than any
>period since the last century.

>Folks can pretend there is little >differece but maybe a visual
>demonstration will help.

I don't know. What issues are they disagreeing on? Whether we shouldn't get this form of healthcare or whether we shouldn't get that form of healthcare?

It's like Yankees and Red Sox fans: they don't agree on anything face to face but their lives and world views are largely the same. And the bigger money team wins more. .

I couldn't make any sense of the graphic you sent us to. It wouldn't sit still long enough for me to even see what it was supposed to be showing me. It did look something like the map of the genome.

I tried reading the professor's probative paper and here is a sample theorem:

>>Theorem: If Voting is Perfect in One Dimension, then the First
Eigenvector Extracted From the Double Centered p by p Matrix of Squared Distances from Equation (3) has at Least the Same Weak Monotone Rank Ordering as the Legislators.<<

Wow, nate.org is into hardcore political science now, too! American politics, weak monotone...Oh, I get it.

Charles Jannuzi