Negri on globos

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 8 23:38:53 PST 2002

"This is where I find Parenti or even the smug, opportunistic (he predicted 9-11!!!) Chalmers Johnson's 'Blowback' more interesting (but much of his work makes me hold my nose, since it was Johnson's 'expert' analysis in part that got the whole US elite's anti-Japan train going in the late 80s, though the true hacks were van Wolferen, Prestowitz and Fallows.

I think true globalism can be a force for good (though the difficulty of cross-cultural issues are all too often underestimated) but want nothing to do with the American-led 'globalisation'. Too bad so many E. Asians and W. Europeans bought into the latter wholesale"--------Charles Jannuzi

I'm glad you mentioned Blowback cause I just read it and have been trying to pinpoint what was wrong with it other than I expected some more nitty gritty detail for my bucks.. Like background of commanders at the FL military command running this war and exactly how it got put together. Seems to me getting each military group to give up their elite forces to some other entity woulda caused a ruckus. I did think he was right on in pointing to a military out of control and it made me wonder it this Franks guy and his cohorts aren't allies of that commander who caused a scandal by putting his troups in the path of retreating Iraqis and slaughtered them though that wasn't supposed to be the plan. What's his name?

There was an article on the Marshall Islands in Harper's a month or two ago that was brought to mind by his Okinowa story. Will check out the Parenti book.