Kagarlitsky

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed Jan 9 03:55:17 PST 2002

Virtually everything Kagaritsky has written for the past three years has been "the economic upswing can't last in Russia because it's all based on high oil prices, Chechnya is a Kremlin plot, eventually people will realize the government is run by oligarchs (they don't already know this?) and then the Left will come into power in Russia!" No matter what happens. It's like a mantra.

I still like his "Thinking Reed" and he's certainly got integrity, but my opinion of Kagarlitsky as an analyst is much lower than it was when I was in the States. Like Putin is somebody supposed to go after ALL the oligarchs? Unless he was willing and able to establish a genuine police state to do it, he's get killed!

Chris Doss The Russia Journal

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, joanna bujes crossposted:

> ZNet Commentary
> Euro-Ambitions January 06, 2002
> By Boris Kagarlitsky
>
> Russian nationalists who tend to dislike everything American are praising
> euro as an alternative. This tells you much about the nature of present
day
> Russian nationalism which is not advocating national liberation but rather

> is telling us that being German vassals is better for us than being
> American clients.

Oh come on. Germany is a piddling social democracy, making up less than a third of the EU economy, which had to be dragged kicking and screaming on board the euro project.

> Financial capital in the US was able to exploit the specific advantages of

> the dollar. At the same time a national currency and a world-wide monetary

> unit, the dollar attracted investors; the surplus mass of dollars spread
> throughout the world, lowering the risk of inflation in the US, and in the

> process making the dollar even more attractive.

It didn't happen this way. The US made up 50% of global industrial GDP in 1945, and US capital flowed *out* of the US for 40 years. Foreign investment in the US was negligible until the 1970s.

> For one thing, European companies could not build a financial pyramid
since
> they did not have the financial resources to maintain it, and for another,

> it was impossible to expand the indebtedness of companies and the
> population to the same extent as in the US.

Clarification: the EU/East Asia have higher debt levels than the US; it's just that existing debts fall more heavily on the poor, via credit cards, mortgages, etc.

> With the help of administrative and political pressure, inflation was
> lowered simultaneously in all the countries involved. Then it started
> growing with still greater force in those countries which had artificially

> reduced its level for the sake of entering the euro-zone.

Examples please? Inflation in Spain and Italy has remained tame.

> If the European Central Bank chooses to support a high exchange rate, the
> result will be that "backward" countries will find that they are no longer

> competitive (as the unfortunate example of Argentina shows). If, on the

But Italy and Spain aren't Argentina -- they're self-financing economies, not dependent on foreign loans, with lots of indigenous tech, strong bank-industry alliances, and 30 years of integration with other EU countries.

> However, there was not the slightest hope that the newcomers would manage
> to cope in the long term with tasks which even countries that had been
> integrated into the European Union for many years were finding beyond
them.

(cough, cough). <http://www.eib.org>. Am I the only Leftie in this universe who bothers to read the EU's websites?

> Everything will end in some kind of bureaucratic, fudged solution that
will
> make things worse for everyone. Inflation will be too high for the north
> and too low for the south.

Horrors! Why, that means that governments will have to step in with some big-time Eurokeynesianism, and neolib orthodoxy be damned.

Don't get me wrong, I love Boris and all, but it's not enough to predict gloom and doom. We need a utopian project, capable of repoliticizing the economic sphere, and the euro's advertising campaign slogan -- "The euro, your money" -- ought to be an excellent start. If the euro ought to belong to the people, and not the other way around, all sorts of interesting things become possible...

- -- Dennis